9-11

Five years ago I was living here, which is about as close as I ever wish to be near the site of a major catastrophe. Everyone below Canal Street was evacuated. I left my window open that night and I must have inhaled a substantial amount of WTC. The days following the event were strangely peaceful. Only residents were allowed in my area, I talked to neighbors and people I had only known briefly. We made plans and bonded and became friends.
And in a way the destruction of the towers, which were as ugly as they were iconic and expensive, is a great opportunity to build something more beautiful.... nobody would have ever dared tear them down, I don't think, before the 99 year leases businesses had were up. And if I were a building, I really coudn't think of a better way to go.
I just hope politics won't interfere with the new design. Seems to be changing frequently.