So I went to Japan, on the boat. And I figured, if there's a typhoon they'll tell me at the terminal. "Return tomorrow?" the girl said and confirmed my reservation. At immigration in Fukuoka the officer said:" One day stay? But twomorrow is typhoon in Japan, maybe cancel. Maybe stay 2 or 3 days." He was right.
Almost as exciting as typhoon Maemi last year, problem was I had to go to the embassy and get my visa. Fun. The bus to the embassy that went on the elevated freeway suddenly got blown to the edge of the freeway, because the windspeed had quadrupled in just 3 minutes and the emergency vehicles were unable to get the water off the road.
My advice: if you are in Fukuoka and there is a Typhoon and you need to get to the embassy, take the subway.
So I got back a day late and 200$ lighter to find out I was finally being evicted from the guestroom. Also, people thought it irresponsible that I took an extra day vacation in Japan. Great.