I got sidetracked for an evening and watched the Cronenberg movie "Dead Zone" which is pretty bad. Except, if somebody else knows the movie, it might be fun to grab their hand and act spastic.
Anyway, I watched 3 versions of 1984. This book seems to have been really popular in the 50s communist-paranoia times. Paranoia seemed to outweigh fear of explicit content.

The first one was a live TV tape from 1954 (with Donald Pleasance and Peter Kushing). It didn't do the sexy part of the book too well (more like prudish 50s acting) but it was close to the text and moved pretty fast. (It had that futuristic quality of old scifi movies. I think I'll always imagine the future as being Black and White.)
The second is from 1956 and Donald pleasance plays a different character (not Winston in either case). It's interpreting it's source more freely and the cast is completely wrong. The editing seemed good, though. Don't get it at Kim's Video, their copy is simply awful.
The latest one from 1984 had full frontal nudity and was much more naturalistic. Too bad it was boring. Close to the book. I didn't like it too much, but it has a better rating at Rottentomatoes

P.S.:I now have a wiki, once I figured out how to use it, we can discuss movies there.